If you have any doubt regarding the extent of your rights in any sounds, you should consult with a suitably qualified lawyer before uploading anything to Magroove or making any claims or counter-claims regarding your rights. However, as a general guide, here are some of the issues you might want to consider before uploading anything to Magroove.
Please note: This page provides some basic information about copyright. However, nothing on this page constitutes legal advice – please do not treat it as legal advice or as a substitute for legal advice. Please consult a suitably qualified lawyer on any matters related to copyright.
Can you answer “yes” to all of the following questions?
- Did you compose the music yourself?
- Did you write the lyrics yourself?
- Did you record and produce the track yourself or do you have permission from the producer or record label that made the recording?
- Do you have written permission from all copyright owners to use any samples contained in the track?
Can you answer “no” to all of the following questions?
- Were you signed to a record label when you recorded the track?
- Do you have a publishing deal?
- Are you a member of a performing rights organization or collecting society? Does it have any restrictions or exclusivity clause?
- Have you licensed your track to anyone else?
- Does the track contain the entirety or any part of someone else's song(s)? Is it based on someone else’s song(s)?
- Does the recording contain any music or excerpts from other copyright works (e.g. movie dialogue) or any speeches or recites from scripts, plays or books (other than one written by you)